Puran Poli is one of the divine sweet indulgences that is prepared at my house. It is made from Toor Dal and sugar. You can also add jaggery to it. I love to make it during festivals and we relish it to the core.
Recipe of Puran Poli
- 1 cup Toor dal
- ½ cup Sugar add more if you prefer to be sweeter
- ½ tsp Cardamon powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 4 cups Wheat flour
- 2 Cups of Water to knead the dough
- Soak Toor dal for about an hour at least.
- In the meantime, make the dough using the wheat flour, ghee, and water.
- Make sure the dough isn’t too soft and keep it aside for about at least an hour.
- Grind the cardamom to fine powder or use ready-made cardamom powder.
- Wash the toor dal and in a bowl add sufficient water (about twice as the dal) and cook high in the microwave for 30-40 minutes. (You could even cook in a pressure cooker).
- When the dal is completely cooked remove the excess of water (if any).
- In the hot cooked dal add the cardamom powder followed by sugar.
- Keep stirring it. Microwave this mixture for about 1-2 minutes, remove the mixture and keep stirring. (You can cook this on the stove, just make sure it is on low flame and watched constantly).
- Follow the above step until the mixture is thick in its consistency.
- The easy check is to place the spoon in the center and if it remains stable this means it is perfect in its consistency, if it falls completely the water from the mixture needs to be evaporated.
- Keep the mixture open (preferably under the fan) to cool it down. Once cooled, make small round balls of this mixture and of the dough as well.
- Start making round chapatti and place the sweet mixture in the center and wrap it tightly and roll it around. Cook it evenly both the sides using a ladle. When ready serve it hot with ghee.
- Using ghee with Puran Poli makes it easy for digestion.