Baby potatoes in Kolhapuri gravy | Aloo Kolhapuri is a delicious dish and an instant delight that serves as the main course. This Kolhapuri gravy is flavorful, spicy, and nutty. Using coconut and fresh cream in this gravy makes it rich and adds more depth to the dish. The baby potatoes are parboiled and added in the gravy to simmer for few minutes till all the flavors and spices are infused in the potatoes. They are cooked till perfection and served hot with pooris, Rotis, or naan.
Lunch can never get better than these baby potatoes in Kolhapuri gravy. Sometimes all you want is a nice lunch ad mist a busy week. This Kolhapuri gravy was stored in my deep freezer. I usually make 2 sets of such elaborate gravies as a lot of time goes into preparing them. So I freeze one set of gravy and use it when I am usually busy with my kid’s school routine or when I want to sit and relax on weekends.
Well, I had baby potatoes in my kitchen pantry asking me to pick them …so Voila I just parboiled them and defrosted the Kolhapuri gravy from the freezer and cooked up this new…unique and spicy vegetable gravy which was yummy. We relished it with hot Parathas and Boondi Raita.
Recipe of Baby potatoes in Kolhapuri gravy
- 250 grams Baby potatoes
- ½ cup Fresh cream
FOR THE KOLHAPURI PASTE-
- ¼ cup Dry coconut grated
- 3-4 Whole dry Kashmiri chilies
- 1 inch Ginger piece
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds khus-khus
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds til
- OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR THE GRAVY-
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 ½ cup Finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
FOR THE PASTE-
- Mix all ingredients and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste adding little water at a time and keep it aside.
FOR THE GRAVY-
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the prepared paste and mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and mix well.
- Cook on a medium flame for another 5-7minutes or till the oil separates while stirring continuously.
FOR BOILING THE POTATOES-
- Boil 3 cups water in a broad pan and parboil all the baby potatoes with or without skin and keep it aside.
FINAL STEP- HOW TO ASSEMBLE-
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the Kolhapuri dry paste and the gravy and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the semi boiled baby potatoes and ½ cup of water and salt.
- Mix well and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes or till the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Serve it hot with roti or rice.