Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe Veg is a recipe that is so comforting and wholesome. This sabzi is a combination and harmony of different flavors, colors, and textures. Paneer Jalfrezi is mildly spiced, tasty, and a nutritious stir fry vegetable that comes together in a jiffy.
Paneer Jalfrezi is basically a restaurant-style dish that is served as a main dish along with roti or rice. Moreover, it is a popular dish and it’s commonly found on the restaurant menu. We usually order this whenever we go to an Indian Restaurant as it is also light on the tummy.
Paneer Jalfrezi is either prepared in a gravy base or semi-dry base. Dry Paneer Jalfrezi is also a variant that is just like stir-fry. Instead of the gravy, simply stir-fry the vegetables and Paneer along with the spices mentioned in the recipe below.
I have prepared my Paneer Jalfrezi with gravy and served it with Butter Roti as my kids love it that way. It is a great option of sabzi to try on weekends too especially when you do not want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It cooks very fast and you can relax and spend the rest of the time with your family.
Paneer or Cottage Cheese is an excellent source of protein for vegetarians. It also is a gluten-free, keto-friendly, and low-carb recipe that tastes awesome.
Follow the step-by-step pictures for the preparations as shown in the Paneer Jalfrezi images below.
History of Paneer Jalfrezi
Mainly Paneer Jalfrezi is a popular curry that originated from Bengal and now popular throughout India and many other countries. However, this curry mainly includes spices, vegetables, onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Jalfrezi term is derived from Bengal where jhāl porhezī: jhāl means spicy food; porhezī means suitable for a diet. Jalfrezi is usually prepared by stir-frying ingredients, a technique introduced to the region by Chinese Cuisine. Jalfrezi is very popular in the UK, this dish is made with chicken, paneer, and mixed vegetables. The recipe here is Veg Paneer Jalfrezi.
Check this 2 paneer dishes that are very trending and delicious Paneer Mix Vegetable and Paneer Bhurji
For more delicious Paneer Recipes, check the recipes below:
Step-By-Step Recipe of Paneer Jalfrezi Curry
This recipe will yield 4 servings
For Basic Onion Tomato Gravy:
1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
1/2 tsp Cooking Oil
1 cup Onion Paste approximately 2-3 medium onion
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 tsp turmeric paste
2 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp honey or sugar
1 tbsp Fresh cream
200 grams Paneer cut lengthwise
1 onion thinly sliced
1 green capsicum thinly sliced
A handful of fresh coriander leaves
1 piece ginger, juliennes
1 tbsp cooking oil
salt to taste
1. Firstly, heat oil in a Kadai and add ginger garlic paste, saute it for few seconds and add onion paste.
2. Saute it for 2 minutes till onion paste turn brown and the raw smell goes.
3. Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, and mix well till the spices are blended well.
4. Finally, add tomato puree, honey, and let the gravy cook on a medium flame till 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Lastly, switch off the flame and add fresh cream and cover it with a lid and keep it aside.
Check recipes of Bhatura and Spinach, or Palak Pooris that will pair with Paneer Jalfrezi.
How to proceed
1. Now heat oil in a pan, add onion and capsicum slices and saute it on a high flame stirring continuously till they are soft.
2. Meanwhile, cook paneer pieces on Tawa with little oil till they are brown and keep them aside.
3. Finally mix paneer, onion, capsicum in the gravy, add ginger juliennes, coriander leaves, and lemon juice and mix it well, cover the lid and let it cook for a minute.
4. Paneer Jalfrezi is now ready to serve, you can have it with rice, butter roti, garlic naan, or puris.
You can prepare Paner Jalfrezi in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in a glass or steel container with an air-tight lid. This can be a nice option for weekend meals wherein you can prepare the sabzi on Friday and simply reheat while eating over the weekend.
Another best way is also to meal plan and chops all the vegetables, pack them in a container, and refrigerate. So when you want to prepare it will take only 10 minutes and a quick meal is ready to be served.
If you want to freeze the same, freeze the gravy, paneer, and vegetable in 3 separate containers. When you want to use remove the night before, thaw, and cook all the ingredients into a pan.
Paneer Jalfrezi with gravy pairs well with roti, butter naan, Bhatura, parathas served along with raita and salad. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot.
It also tastes well with Tawa pulao, jeera rice, or Veg Pulao.
- Use fresh paneer in this recipe for the best results.
- However, if you are using frozen paneer, defrost the cubes. Keep it in warm water for 10 -15 minutes before using it in the Paneer Jalfrezi recipe.
- Cut onions, bell peppers, and paneer into thin and length-wise, and not into cubes.
- You can use ready-made tomato puree as well in this recipe if you do not have time to prepare tomato gravy at home.
- For making dry Paneer Jalfrezi you can avoid preparing the gravy and keep the rest of the recipe the same. Simply stir fry all the vegetables and paneer on high flame till they are cooked.
- For better results, boil tomatoes in hot water, let them cool down, peel the skin and puree it.
- Moreover, use honey or sugar in the recipe for sweetness, else the gravy will be very sour.
- You can also add 1tbsp of tomato ketchup to balance the sourness of the tomatoes. This will also add a tad sweetness and make this paneer curry tastier.
- For Basic Onion Tomato Gravy:
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 cup Onion Paste approximately 2-3 medium onion
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ tsp turmeric paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp honey or sugar
- 1 tbsp Fresh cream
- Other Ingredients
- 200 grams Paneer cut lengthwise
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 green capsicum thinly sliced
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 piece ginger juliennes
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Firstly, heat oil in a Kadai and add ginger garlic paste, saute it for few seconds and add onion paste.
- Saute it for 2 minutes till onion paste turn brown and the raw smell goes.
- Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well till the spices are blended well.
- Finally, add tomato puree, honey, and let the gravy cook on a medium flame till 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Lastly, switch off the flame and add fresh cream and cover it with a lid and keep it aside.
- How to proceed
- Now heat oil in a pan, add onion and capsicum slices and saute it on a high flame stirring continuously till they are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook paneer pieces on Tawa with little oil till they are brown and keep them aside.
- Finally mix paneer, onion, capsicum in the gravy, add ginger juliennes, coriander leaves, and lemon juice and mix it well, cover the lid and let it cook for a minute.
- Paneer Jalfrezi is now ready to serve, you can have it with rice, butter roti, garlic naan, or puris.
Some Frequently Question Asked about Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe
1. Can we prepare Paneer Jalfrezi with other vegetables?
Yes, apart from using onion, bell pepper, and paneer, you can also use vegetables like carrots, baby corn, zucchini, broccoli, and cauliflower to make the Jalfrezi recipe.
2. Can we make Paneer Jalfrezi Jain?
Yes, for the Jain version, simply avoid using onion, ginger, and garlic in this recipe. Follow the rest of the recipe for the Jain Version of Paneer Jalfrezi.
3. How can we make this Vegan?
Use extra-firm pressed Tofu instead of Paneer and do not use fresh cream in this recipe for making it vegan. Follow the rest of the recipe as it is.
4. Is this recipe Kids Friendly?
Yes, Paneer is a good source of protein and is usually liked by kids. So making Paneer Jalfrezi is one of the yummiest ways to feed paneer and other vegetables to kids. You can adjust the spices and gravy as per kids liking and spice preference.