Bread Upma is a flavourful, delicious, and instant breakfast recipe. The recipe is very simple, quick, and needs only a few staple items from the kitchen pantry. All you will need is few slices of bread and a handful of vegetables like carrots, french beans, onion, capsicum, and basic spices from our Indian Masala Box to prepare this. In all, it will take a maximum of 15 minutes to make this breakfast recipe at home.
Check few more Breakfast Recipes here:
Rava Upma Recipe
Masala Idli from leftover Idlis
Pink Pitaya Pancakes, Pink Dragon Fruit Pancakes Recipe
Some Frequently Asked Questions for Bread Upma
Which bread can be used to make Bread Upma?
For preparing Bread Upma you can either use leftover white bread slices, Pav or brown bread slices. It is absolutely a personal choice. You can also use multigrain bread or a leftover baguette that becomes hard after a day. It will surely taste good. This recipe is definitely a keepsake for all those who are bread lovers and loves to eat them in all forms.
How can you make it a South Indian Style Bread Upma?
This Bread Upma is a mouth-watering variation to our regular recipe of breakfast Upma that is made with Semolina /Rava or Suji. Moreover, this is mainly made with leftover bread from the previous day. To prepare it like how South Indians do, you need to do a tempering or Tadka of mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves. This South Indian Tadka given to Bread Upma will take the taste a notch higher and lend an aromatic flavor.
Can we add nuts to Bread Upma Recipe?
Traditionally when we prepare Rava Upma at home for breakfast, we add cashew nuts to it. This gives a nice nutty and earthy flavor to the Upma. Similarly, we can also add cashew nuts to this Bread Upma recipe to give a nice crunch and nutty flavor to it.
However, we can also add peanuts to this Upma recipe to make it protein-rich and it will also make the Upma more nutritious and wholesome. You can either add nuts along with sauteing the vegetables or at the time when you give Tadka. Either way, it will taste good. So adding nuts can be a great option to this simple breakfast recipe.
Is it necessary to toast the bread for the Upma recipe?
This step is an optional and a personal choice. I do not prefer to toast the bread slices in this recipe as I have used leftover white bread slices. However, if you are using brown bread or multigrain bread, then it is advisable to toast the bread slices either in a toaster or on Tawa with a little butter or olive oil. Further cut them into small pieces and use them for the recipe of Bread Upma.
Can we use more vegetables in this recipe?
Adding more vegetables of your choice will make the Bread Upma wholesome and delicious. Add as many vegetables like potatoes, green peas, cauliflower, french beans, sweet corn, potatoes, yellow and red bell pepper. Finally, do not forget to garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves before serving it.
How to make this recipe kid’s friendly?
Kids are very much fond of cheese and butter and some crunch on their breakfast plates. So if you want to serve this Bread Upma to your kids, you can add grated cheese on top and also add top it with some Sev or aloo bhujiya. This will surely entice your kids to have this in their breakfast or after-school snack. Another tip is that you can use only those vegetables which your kids like and omit the rest. I am sure they will fall in love with this and will demand it very often.
Follow the step-by-step pictures and detailed recipe and learn how to make instant Bread Upma at home.
Step-by-Step pictures of Bread Upma
1. Firstly, cut the cores of the bread slices and cut them into small squares.
2. Keep all the veggies and other ingredients ready.
3. Sprinkle some water on the bread pieces so that they turn a little soggy.
4. Heat oil in a Kadai and add rai and jeera, and wait till the crackling sound.
5. Add curry leaves in the oil and wait for few seconds to crackle.
6. Now add all the vegetables in the Kadai and saute for 4-5 minutes till they are cooked properly.
7. Add all the spices as shown in the picture and stir it well.
8. Time to add bread pieces to the vegetables.
9. Add, salt, sugar, and lemon juice and stir it properly so that bread pieces don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
10. Finally, switch off the flame, garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with a cup of tea.
Important points and tips
- Sprinkle some water on bread pieces so that they can absorb some water and Upma comes out moist and soft.
- You can also toast the bread and make the slices, totally a personal choice.
- Add vegetables of your choice like sweet corn, tomato, green peas, etc. for making it a wholesome breakfast recipe.
- Serve this Bread Upma immediately after you prepare it as it tastes best when it is hot.
- This is a delicious breakfast recipe and can be had with a hot cup of Ginger Tea and Filter Coffee
- For reheating Bread Upma in a microwave sprinkle some water on the Upma and then reheat for a minute. By doing this the Upma will not become dry while heating.
Bread Upma will taste good when it is served hot. If there is some leftover then you can store it in a microwavable air-tight container and reuse it for the next day. Do not store it for more days and this is a non-freezable recipe, so I would not recommend freezing this for later use.
Bread Upma | How to make Bread Upma
- 8-10 slices of bread
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/rai
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- a handful of coriander leaves.
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Firstly, cut the cores of the bread slices and cut it into small squares.
- Keep all the veggies and other ingredients ready.
- Sprinkle some water on the bread pieces so that they turn a little soggy.
- Heat oil in a Kadai and add rai and jeera, and wait till the crackling sound.
- Add curry leaves in the oil and wait for few seconds to crackle.
- Now add all the vegetables in the Kadai and saute for 4-5 minutes till they are cooked properly.
- Add all the spices as shown in the picture and stir it well.
- Time to add bread pieces in the vegetables.
- Add, salt, sugar, and lemon juice and stir it properly so that bread pieces don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Finally, switch off the flame, garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with a cup of tea.