Dahi Papdi Chaat / Dahi Papri Chaat with step-by-step pictures and detailed recipe.
This Dahi Papdi Chaat recipe is a very popular chaat item that is mainly found on the streets of North India and now available in all parts of India. Papri chaat also tops in the restaurant and cafes menu chart. Moreover, every state has its own unique ways of preparing this Papri chaat. This chaat satiates all the taste buds as it is sweet, sour, spicy, and tangy.
Mainly this Dahi Papdi chaat is yogurt-based and is made with Papdi that is deep-fried flour puris that are crunchy and savory. Later on, it is topped with onions, tomatoes, potatoes, chickpeas, and an assortment of garlic, coriander, and date chutneys. finally, it is covered with loads of Sev and served it immediately.
This dish is mainly served and eaten as an evening snack and it can be easily prepared at home in just 10 minutes. For that, all you need is to stock your pantry with Papdi, Sev, and all the chutneys. If you always have these ingredients handy then all you need is to do a few preparations like chopping vegetables and Later, you simply need to assemble all the ingredients together and just serve it with chilled yogurt.
Benefits of preparing Papdi Chaat at home:
- Hygienic, since all the ingredients are homemade and healthy
- Delicious and fresh
- Can adjust chutneys as per the taste
- Easy to make
- Great options for Parties
- Kids friendly
Papdi: For preparing this chaat, papdi is the key ingrdien. Either you can use store-bought Papdis, which is easily available in the market. Or you can make them at home with all-purpose flour and deep fry them and store it for further use.
Chutneys: They play a very important role in any kind of chaat items. Always have dates, coriander, and garlic chutneys handy. This way you can prepare any chat item when you feel like it.
Sev: For this chat, we usually use Nylon Sev, which is very fine and thin. This is easily available in grocery stores.
Boiled potatoes: ALways have boiled potatoes handy as they are versatile and can be used for preparing many dishes. For this recipe, you need to peel and cut them into small chunks.
Boiled Chickpeas: These taste very good and add a nice volume and texture to Papdi chaat. So do not skip adding these. Boil the chickpeas, remove the water and for better taste mix them with chutneys before mixing them into the chaat.
Dahi or Yogurt: Use fresh and chilled yogurt, also we need to add sugar to the curd. whisk it well till there are no lumps before adding it into the chaat.
Garnishing: finely chopped coriander leaves and pomegranates work well for garnishing any kind of chaat dishes.
Step-By-Step Recipe of Dahi Paapdi Chaat
1. Firstly, take yogurt in a bowl, add 1 tbsp sugar, salt as per taste and whisk it well till there are no lumps, and let it chill in the refrigerator.
2. Secondly, arrange Papdi on a serving plate and keep all the other ingredients ready on a plate including chutneys.
3. Now top the Papdi with boiled potato chunks.
4. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and onions on top.
5. Further add boiled chickpeas also and keep it aside. Moreover, you can add garlic and green chutney to the boiled chickpeas also for extra taste.
6. Time to add the star ingredients, all the 3 chutneys as shown in the steps.
7. Finally, add chilled yogurt to the chutneys, sprinkle chaat masala, add Nylon Sev and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it.
In our Indian homes, especially those who love chaat items and Street food, we always have dates chutney, coriander chutney, and garlic chutney in our fridge. As it is always handy to prepare any kind of chaat items like Bhel Puri, Sev puri, Pani Puri, Ragda Pattice, etc. So assuming all these chutneys are handy, all you need to do is boil potatoes and chickpeas the night before and keep it handy. If you do not want to prepare Papdis and Sev at home, it is absolutely fine as both these items are easily available in the grocery stores. You can buy and store them in an air-tight container and use them as and when required. So next time if you are craving for Dahi Papdi chaat, preparing it at home will be a matter of few minutes. For garnishing, you can peel the pomegranate seeds and finely chopped coriander leaves in a box. They will stay good for 3-4 days so you can use them as and when you prepare chaat items.
Dahi Papdi Chaat is a delicious and tantalizing chaat item that is served immediately after preparing it. Main Reason being that the chilled yogurt and chutneys will make the Papdis or puris and Sev soggy if kept for a longer period of time. So the best idea is to keep all the ingredients ready and assemble all the chutneys and just prepare them before having them.
You can serve this along with any pakoras, sandwiches or tea, and coffee. It can also be served for high tea, after-school snacks, evening cravings. At my house, we have it either as an evening snack or dinner.
Dahi Papdi Chaat / Bhalla Papdi Chaat / Dahi Papri Chaat
- 2 tbsp Curd/ Yogurt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 10-12 Papdi / Papri
- 1 potato boiled and chopped finely
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ cup boiled white chickpeas / boiled chana
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander chutney
- ½ tbsp garlic chutney
- 2 tbsp dates or tamarind chutney
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 cup Nylon Sev
- ½ cup coriander finely chopped
- Firstly, take yogurt in a bowl, add 1 tbsp sugar, salt as per taste and whisk it well till there are no lumps and let it chill in the refrigerator.
- Secondly, arrange Papdi on a serving plate and keep all the other ingredients ready on a plate including chutneys.
- Now top the Papdi with boiled potato chunks.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes and onions on top.
- Further add boiled chickpeas also and keep it aside. Moreover, you can add garlic and green chutney to the boiled chickpeas also for extra taste.
- Time to add the star ingredients, all the 3 chutneys as shown in the steps.
- Finally, add chilled yogurt to the chutneys, sprinkle chaat masala, add Nylon Sev and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it.
- Always use Cold yogurt for preparing Dahi Papdi Chaat as this will taste much better.
- Instead of boiled white chickpeas, you can use sprouted green moong as well.
- You can avoid onion in this recipe if you do not like the taste of it.
- Nylon Sev is the thin delicate Sev that goes well with this Bhalla Papri Chaat, however, you may use the regular Sev if you do not have nylon Sev at home.
- Preparing fresh coriander chutney will give nice freshness, however, you could also prepare it the day before or use frozen homemade green chutney.
- Garnish this Papdi chaat with pomegranates and chana dal for extra crunch and taste.
- Most importantly serve this immediately after preparing it as it may turn soggy if you leave it for a while.