Mix Vegetable Recipe/ Mix Vegetable Sabzi | Mix Veg Curry with step-by-step pictures and detailed recipe. Mix Vegetable Curry is a North India sabzi that is prepared using a medley of vegetables of your choice. Moreover, all the vegetables are simmered in spicy and creamy onion tomato gravy that pairs so well with roti or rice.
What is Mix Vegetable Curry?
Mix Vegetable Curry is one of the most versatile mix veg recipes in which we have an option to include the vegetables we like and omit the ones we dislike. Like here I have included cauliflower, carrots, french beans, potatoes, onions, and capsicums. However, you can also add sweet con, mushroom, green peas, paneer, broccoli, etc. So basically we can cook as an assorted vegetable curry with our choice of vegetables, how cool is that!!
The gravy of this easy mix vegetable sabzi is onion tomato base like most of the North Indian |Punjabi gravies and it tastes good with other vegetables like Okra, Aubergine, Soya, Paneer, and the list is endless. If you are looking for a paneer mixed vegetable, that is a curry with a medley of vegetables and a Paneer cooked in onion tomato gravy, then please do check Paneer Mix Vegetable. This recipe has been tried by many readers and everyone has loved the recipe.
Now coming to Mix Vegetable curry, I have explained all the details along with the step-by-step recipes below.
Check some more Curry recipes here:
Step-by-step pictures of Mix Vegetable Sabzi
1. Firstly, boil water in a Kadai, add salt, and all the vegetables in it.
2. Secondly, Cover the lid and let it boil for 10 minutes till all the vegetables are soft and tender.
3. Now strain the excess water from the vegetables and keep it aside.
For the Gravy
4. Chop onions and capsicum and keep it ready.
5. Heat oil in a Kadai and add bay leaves, dry red chilies, cumin seeds, and hing.
6. Add onions and capsicums and saute on a medium flame for 3 minutes till they turn brown.
7. Chop onion into big chunks and transfer it to a blender.
9. Add onion puree into the Kadai and cook well till oil releases and the raw smell of onion goes away.
10. Same way make tomato puree and add it into the Kadai.
11. Also add ginger garlic paste and all the spices and cook the gravy for 2 minutes till oil releases. Now add 1 cup of water to the gravy and let it boil for a while.
12. Finally, add all the boiled vegetables in the gravy, add salt as per taste, cover the lid and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
13. Switch off the flame and add fresh cream and finely chopped coriander leaves to it.
Important points and notes for Mixed Vegetable Sabzi:
- Firstly, Wash all the vegetables in running water and then chop them.
- If you have boiled potatoes you can add them at a later stage, just when you add in all the other boiled vegetables in it.
- Alternatively, you can also saute all the vegetables in oil for 8-10 minutes till they are tender.
- You can use as many vegetables as you want in this recipe.
- The spiciness of the gravy can be adjusted as per your taste buds.
- If you prefer this gravy a little tangy in taste, you can add 2 tbsp of fresh curd.
- Instead of cooking in oil, you can use ghee or butter.
- If you want a vegan version, use coconut cream instead of fresh cream and cook the sabzi in oil.
1. Can we prepare Mix Veg with Frozen Vegetables?
Yes, we can use frozen vegetables for this recipe. There are usually mixed frozen vegetables cut into chunks that are available in supermarkets. You can use them to make this sabzi. All you have to do is to thaw the vegetables, or boil them in hot water for 5 minutes and use them for the sabzi.
2.How to make this sabzi kid-friendly?
For this, you need to adjust the spice level. You can omit using dry red chilies and red chili powder in the sabzi. This will reduce the spiciness and kids will totally love it. Also, this mixed vegetable is very healthy for kids as it has many vegetables in it. Also, another tip here is to add Paneer cubes into the recipe as kids love paneer and so they will happily eat this sabzi.
3. Can we add Coconut Cream to this sabzi?
Yes, you can add coconut cream to this recipe instead of fresh cream. This is also a good option to make this sabzi Vegan. The coconut cream gives a nice aroma and taste to this curry. I also add it just to give a small twist to this recipe. Do try adding it yourself.
4. How to chop Vegetables for Mix Vegetable Curry?
Chop Vegetables like potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, french beans into even and medium chunks. If you cut them too big then they will not be cooked evenly and also will take a very long time to cook. On the other hand, if you cut them into small chunks, they will cook faster, but eventually, when it will be mixed in gravy they will get mushy very fast.
5. What are the Best Vegetables to use for Mix Veg?
Ideally, you can use any vegetables of your choice or the ones that are handy. You can also include seasonal vegetables.
However, my recommendations are using vegetables like Potato, carrots, capsicum, cauliflower, french beans, and green peas. These are the vegetables that will give you the same taste, flavor, and crunch similar to the ones you will find in restaurants.
6. How do I add the vegetables to the curry?
This depends on the cooking time of the vegetables like cauliflower, potato, carrots will take a longer time to cook, so add them first and later on, you can add vegetables like boiled green peas, Sweet corn, French beans, paneer if you are using in the recipe.
For making this recipe quicker, you can boil the vegetables in a pot and later mix them in the curry.
7. How to serve Mix Veg Curry?
Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves, drizzle a bit of fresh cream and serve it hot. This Sabzi pairs well with roti, naan, poori, and paratha. It will also taste good with jeera rice, steamed rice, and garlic rice. Always serve cool raita and papad along with it to make it look like a small feast and a complete meal.
Mix Vegetable Curry | Mix Veg Sabzi
- For Vegetables
- 1 Carrot chopped
- 8-10 French Beans chopped
- ½ cup Cauliflower Florets
- ½ cup Potato/Aloo chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Capsicum chopped
- For Curry
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- ¾ cup Oion Puree
- 1 cup Tomato puree
- 1 ½ tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Fresh Cream
- a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly, boil water in a Kadai, add salt, and all the vegetables in it.
- Secondly, Cover the lid and let it boil for 10 minutes till all the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Now strain the excess water from the vegetables and keep it aside.
- For the Gravy
- Chop onions and capsicum and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a Kadai and add bay leaves, dry red chilies, cumin seeds, and hing.
- Add onions and capsicums and saute on a medium flame for 3 minutes till they turn brown.
- Chop onion into big chunks and transfer it to a blender.
- Puree the onions in the blender till smooth.
- Add onion puree into the Kadai and cook well till oil releases and the raw smell of onion goes away.
- Same way make tomato puree and add into the Kadai.
- Also add ginger garlic paste and all the spices and cook the gravy for 2 minutes till oil releases. Now add 1 cup of water in the gravy and let it boil for a while.
- Finally, add all the boiled vegetables in the gravy, add salt as per taste, cover the lid and let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add fresh cream and finely chopped coriander leaves in it.