Methi Malai Paneer | Methi Paneer | Paneer Methi Malai with step-by-step pictures and detailed recipe. This Restaurant style Paneer Recipe is one of my favorite curries. The richness from the cream, tad bitterness from fenugreek, spice from masalas with subtle sweetness is what makes it scrumptious.
Paneer and methi make it a great combination when cooked together and simmered in creamy onion tomato gravy. The bitterness and flavors from the methi or fenugreek enhance in this paneer recipe.
How to use Fenugreek | Methi leaves
Firstly, finely chop methi leaves and add some salt in it. This step will reduce the bitterness of methi leaves. Later, wash the methi leaves in a colander and remove all the excess water, squeeze the leaves and use it in the sabzi. Moreover, you can also store extra methi leaves in the freezer for later use. Either put them in an air-tight container or a ziplock bag. I always end up cleaning methi leaves in huge quantities and store the rest. It becomes handy when I want to prepare any recipe with it later.
Also, check my other Paneer Recipes,
Paneer Butter Masala
Tawa Paneer Masala
Paneer Mix Vegetable
Paneer Rogan Josh
Achari Paneer Masala
Step-by-Step Recipe For Basic Onion Tomato Gravy
1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
1/2 tsp Cooking Oil
1 cup Onion Paste approximately 2-3 medium onion
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 tsp turmeric paste
2 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp honey or sugar
1 tbsp Fresh cream
1. Firstly, heat oil in a Kadai and add ginger garlic paste, saute it for few seconds and add onion paste.
2. Saute it for 2 minutes till onion paste turn brown and the raw smell goes.
3. Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well till the spices are blended well.
4. Finally, add tomato puree, honey, and let the gravy cook on a medium flame till 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Lastly, switch off the flame and add fresh cream and cover it with a lid and keep it aside.
Step-by-Step Recipe of Paneer Methi Malai
1. Firstly, prepare basic onion tomato gravy as per the recipe shared above.
2. Secondly, heat oil in a Kadai and add minced garlic, saute it for 30 seconds and add fenugreek | methi leaves in it and saute it till 2 minutes.
3. Now add onion tomato gravy in the Kadai and cook for 3-4 minutes till all the water content evaporates.
4. Add all the spices in the gravy and cook for another minute.
5. Also add tomato ketchup at this step, mix well, and cook for a minute.
6. Finally, add paneer cubes, salt, and fresh cream and give it a quick stir.
7. Switch off the flame and leave it for a minute.
8. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve it with roti or rice.
Important points and notes
- You can prepare onion tomato gravy in advance and keep it refrigerated. This will speed up the process of cooking time.
- Use fresh paneer in this recipe.
- However, you can add fresh paneer cubes in this gravy or Tawa fry the paneer cubes and later add them.
- Always add fresh cream towards the end and switch off the flame once you add the fresh cream.
- You can also use frozen methi leaves and dry Kasuri methi leaves. But the best is to use fresh leaves.
- Serve this sabzi hot with roti, paratha, or rice and pulao.
Paneer Methi Malai | Methi Paneer
- 200 grams paneer cubes
- 2 tbsp Basic Onion Tomato Gravy
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 small bunch of Fenugreek leaves | Methi leaves finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander | Dhania powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- salt as per taste
- a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly, prepare basic onion tomato gravy as per the recipe shared above.
- Secondly, heat oil in a Kadai and add minced garlic, saute it for 30 seconds and add fenugreek | methi leaves in it and saute it till 2 minutes.
- Now add onion tomato gravy in the Kadai and cook for 3-4 minutes till all the water content evaporates.
- Add all the spices in the gravy and cook for another minute.
- Also add tomato ketchup at this step, mix well, and cook for a minute.
- Finally, add paneer cubes, salt, and fresh cream and give it a quick stir.
- Switch off the flame and leave it for a minute.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve it with roti or rice.
Finally, do check my other recipes:
Mix Vegetable Curry
Potato Masala Curry