Trinidadian Roti Barbeque/Grill Fare
“When life gives you oven, grill it”. Trinidad is referred to as the southernmost island in the Caribbean. The cuisine is a “fusion” of mainly four continents, Indian, Middle Eastern, European, and American gastronomic influences. They love food and sharing it with friends is a favorite local pastime. The modern Trinidadian taste favors a base of green seasoning, with an array of condiments and world-famous roti’s. They include rotis for all the fixings with different toppings and filings.
If you trying to eat healthy, tasty, and oil-free try this Recipe with the freshness of greens and goodness of veggies and completing it with sukha or grilled roti’s.
Recipe of Trinidadian Roti Barbeque-Grill Fare
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 medium-sized chopped onion
- 2 medium-sized chopped green tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 bunch of green garlic
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup of water
- pinch of salt
For Grilled veggies:
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized yellow bell pepper
- 10-12 par-boiled baby potatoes
- 10-12 chunks of fresh and soft paneer
- 4 roti’s or tortillas
- 1 cup tomato garlic chutney readily available
How to proceed for marinating:
- Peel, trim, and wash the ingredients and let drain.
- Then rough-cut into smaller pieces so it’s easier to manage and work in the blender or food processor.
- Add all the ingredients into your food processor or a blender including the water.
- You may be required to move around or push down the ingredients occasionally so it all gets worked by the blades.
- Personally I like to liquify my blend to the consistency tad more liquid. However, you can make a bit more chunky-like if you wish.
How to proceed with vegetables:
- Chop all the vegetables into small chunks and marinate in the seasoning for at least 2hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Remove the veggies from the fridge. Place them on the skewers and grill it for 15-20 minutes changing and tossing the sides.
How to serve:
- Spread tomato and garlic chutney on the grilled hot roti and fill it with the grilled vegetables.