When I think of the chilly weather, the first thing that comes to my mind is Gajar Halwa / Carrot Halwa. This delectable Gajar Halwa is an ode to Indian Mithai. I really feel like indulging in this heavenly bite of goodness all this season.
Carrot halwa or Gajar halwa is an ethnic Indian sweet or you can also call it a festive delicacy that is absolutely scrumptious and rich. There is nothing more interesting than to cook up a sweet dish for your loved ones on a festive day. It is one such dish that is loved by one and all. I am yet to come across someone who doesn’t like this. This Gajar Halwa can be made with full-fat milk or condensed milk….on a gas stove that is the traditional way or in a hassle-free way that is in a microwave.
This was an old recipe on my blog, however I have updated with new pictures and step-by-step detailed pictures. Check the recipe till the end.
This recipe of Gajar Halwa or Carrot Halwa requires very little ghee and tons of dry-fruits. You can adjust the sugar as per your taste. You can also replace sugar with sugar-free or brown sugar. The choice is absolutely yours….check out my recipe to make this delicious sweet.
It is a little time consuming as I am neither using condensed milk nor am I making it in a microwave. With grated khoya or mawa, Gajar Halwa tastes a notch higher.
“Fancy desserts may come and go but Traditional Indian sweets are with us to stay forever!!
Do check the recipe of Bread Halwa for instant sweet cravings that cooks up fast.
Recipe of Gajar Halwa
- 2 cups thickly grated carrot
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp milk +2 tbsp. water
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1/2 tsp cardamom elaichi powder
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan add the grated carrots and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring it continuously.
- Add the milk and water and mix well.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar, mix well, and cook on a high flame for 5 to 7 minutes and keep stirring continuously.
- Add the sliced almonds and cardamom powder and cook for another 1 minute.
- Garnish it with rose petals, pistachios and serve it hot or cold.
Step-by-Step Recipes of Gajar Halwa / Carrot Halwa
How to grate carrots?
Peel the carrots, wash them and peel them with a peeler. Squeeze out the extra water before cutting them in the pan.
1. Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan add the grated carrots and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring it continuously.
2. Add the milk and water and mix well.
3. Let it simmer for 10 minutes while stirring continuously.
4. Add the sugar, mix well, and cook on a high flame for 5 to 7 minutes and keep stirring continuously.
5. Add the sliced almonds, pistachios, khoya (Mawa), and cardamom powder and cook for another 1 minute and switch off the flame.
6. Garnish it with almond, pistachios, and serve it hot or cold.
Finally do check other sweet recipes