Buttered Corn or Butter Sweet Corn is a deliciously spicy, buttery, and irresistible snack made with American Sweet Corn. This comforting and easy American Sweet corn snack is prepared in just 10 minutes at the comfort of your home.
To prepare Buttered Corn, firstly sweet corns are boiled, and after removing excess water, they are left for a while. Later they are cooked in butter, preferably salty butter, seasoned with Kashmiri Red chili, pepper powder, and served to steaming hot. Follow the detailed step-by-step recipe shown below. Moreover, if you have boiled American Sweet corn handy then this recipe is a breeze and a tasty snack to indulge in.
Buttered Corn or Bhutta is so often termed as a perfect monsoon snack as corns are available in plenty during this season. With the onset of the first rain, all the street side hawkers are excited to sell them in different flavors, spicy, sweet, masala, etc. There is something with rain and corn, that is hard to express. Have it as Buttered Corn in a cup, or Butter Corn on the cob, the taste, crunch, and flavors are what makes it delicious and irresistible.
How to Boil Sweet Corn
First of all place sweet corn kernels in a strainer and run under tap water. This way you can clean all the impurities and husk if any. Now place them in the pressure pan, add salt as per the number of corn kernels, and boil. Wait till 4 whistles and switch off the stove. Once the pressure pan cools down, open the lid and let it cool down for 2 minutes. Now strain the corn kernels in a colander and remove all the excess water. Let the corn kernels cool down at room temperature.
Substitute for Butter and variations
In case, if you are looking for a Vegan version, you can use Olive Oil instead of Butter. For seasoning, you can use salt, pepper powder, red chili powder, red chili flakes, and oregano powder. Moreover, if you are looking for a cheesy version, you can add grated cheddar or processed cheese just before the last step to make cheesy buttered corn.
If you love Corn, then you can also check these delicious recipes from my blog,
Sweet Corn Pulao
Spinach Corn Sandwich
Corn Cheese Balls
Sweet Corn Tikkis
Corn and Spinach Crostini,
Corn Cheese Crostini
1. What is Cup corn?
2. Can we make this Corn with Butter ahead of time and keep it?
Yes, you can boil the sweet corns, strain the excess water and keep it ready. Cook it with butter and spices and transfer it to a bowl. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it aside. You can also refrigerate it for2 days. While serving all you need to do is heat it on a stovetop or microwave for a few seconds.
3. Can you prepare Buttered Corn for parties at home?
Yes, you can definitely serve this as a side dish at any weekend parties at home. It is so easy and simple to prepare that you need not worry about this and can focus on your main dishes. Prepare this Buttered Corn by following the simple steps below and keep it ready. All you need to do is heat it at the time of serving and you are sorted.
4. Is this Recipe of Buttered Corn Kid’s Friendly?
Yes. in fact many kids simply enjoy eating Buttered Corn, having said that you can also term this as a “kid’s friendly recipe”. However, if your kids can not take the spice level, then kindly avoid the chili powder in the recipe. Make it the way your kids like them, with more butter, lime, chaat masala. Maybe you can also grate some cheese on them. Trust me kids will totally love it.
5. Can we make this from Canned Corn?
It is advisable not to use canned sweet corn for this recipe as this will not give a nice taste and crunch. Using fresh sweet corn will give a nice taste and impart subtle flavors and crunch to it.
2 tbsp Butter
2 cups boiled sweet corn
1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp freshly ground pepper powder
salt as per taste
a handful of coriander leaves to garnish
Step-By-Step Recipe of Buttered Corn:
1. Firstly, heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan till it melts.
2. Now add boiled sweet corns in the butter and add another 1 tbsp of butter from the top.
3. Stir it for 2-3 minutes till the corns are tender and a bit brown.
4. Add Kashmiri red chili powder, pepper powder, a bit of salt and mix it well in the corn and stir for another 2 minutes till all the spices are well incorporated in the corn.
5. Finally, garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot.
Buttered Corn is a versatile snack that is lip-smacking. You can serve this as a high tea time snack, or with morning tea or coffee time. This can also be a very good tiffin snack for kids or the office, also can be served as an after-school snack.
Moreover, if you have a party at home, this can be one of the quick appetizers that will be enjoyed by all. If you have a movie night at home or have invited friends over to watch web series on Netflix or Prime Videos, buttered corn will be a great option to serve. Serve in individual small cups just like you get them in cinema halls along with colas and you are sorted. Also, you will be termed as the best host after all, who doesn’t like to indulge in butter corn.
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups boiled sweet corn
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- a handful of coriander leaves to garnish
- Firstly, heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan till it melts.
- Now add boiled sweet corns in the butter and add another 1 tbsp of butter from the top.
- Stir it for 2-3 minutes till the corns are tender and a bit brown.
- Add Kashmiri red chili powder, pepper powder, a bit of salt and mix it well in the corn and stir for another 2 minutes till all the spices are well incorporated in the corn.
- Finally, garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot.
- Use American Corn for this recipe as it tastes much better.
- If you do not have corn kernels, you can use corn on the cob and scrape the kernels and later boil all of them.
- If you like it tangy, then squeeze half a lemon juice at the end after switching off the flame.
- For making it more flavourful you can also add Italian seasonings, oregano, chili flakes, basil, etc.