Paneer Kheer | Paneer Payasam | Kesar Paneer Kheer with step-by-step pictures and instructions is an easy recipe made with paneer and milk. This creamy, luscious paneer kheer has a grainy texture that comes from the paneer and richness from saffron and dry fruits.
To make this paneer payasam or panner kheer at home, you will need a homemade chenna or paneer that is easy to make. However, you can use the ready-made paneer and crumble it and use it in this recipe. But homemade paneer is best for this recipe. You will also need full-fat milk sugar, saffron, and dry fruits like almonds, pistachios, and rose petals.
Boiling milk to the right consistency is the key to make this paneer kheer rich and creamy. Moreover, you will need to be patient to prepare any kind of kheer and have some time in your hand.
Recipe of Kesar Paneer Kheer
- 1 litre plus 1 and ½ liters Full cream milk –
- 2 tsp Vinegar –
- 10-15 strands Saffron –
- ¼ cup Sugar –
- ½ tsp Cardamom powder –
- Roasted Almond for garnishing
- Heat 1-liter milk in a pan.
- When it comes to boil, add vinegar.
- The milk will separate immediately after adding the vinegar.
- Switch off the heat and let the milk rest for 5 minutes.
- Strain the milk in a strainer and collect the cheese.
- Keep the strainer with paneer under running water so that the excess sour taste is gone.
- Let the strainer rest over a vessel to get rid of all the excess water for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 and ½ liters of milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Simmer the heat once the milk comes to a boil.
- Add saffron strands in the milk.
- Let it cook for 20-25 minutes on low heat.
- Crumble the paneer and add it in the milk.
- Cook for another 20 minutes, until the milk, is thickened.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the kheer in the serving bowl.
- Garnish with roasted almond shavings and saffron strands.
- Serve it chilled as it tastes best when cold.
Step-by-Step Recipe of Paneer Kheer
1. Heat 1 liter of milk in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Let the milk boil and simmer the heat once the milk comes to a boil.
3. Take hot milk in a small bowl and soak few strands of saffron in it.
4. As you can see after 5 minutes, the saffron strand releases its deep orange color and aroma.
5. Chenna or paneer that I have made from 1-liter milk. do not have detailed pictures of it.
6. Crumble the paneer and add it to the boiled milk.
7. Cook it further for another 5 minutes.
8. Now add saffron strands to the milk.
9. Also add sugar to the milk.
10. Cook for another 4-5 minutes and switch off the flame.
- It is always better to use homemade paneer
- Boil milk till it reduces half in quantity for the best results.
- Use full-fat milk for making paneer kheer.
- Soaking saffron strands in warm milk is a must.
- Crumble paneer before adding it to the milk.
- Serve paneer kheer cold and garnish with dry fruits like almonds and pistachios.
Well, when I prepared paneer kheer in my house, my family was really waiting to know the taste of this kheer. They were kind of curious to know how would it taste? Honestly, they all were delightful after tasting this yummy paneer kheer. It is nothing short of addiction in my house now. Moreover, I thought the taste of this kheer was a bit close to Ras Malai. So I am calling this kheer as a cousin of Ras malai. To know the similarity you need to try this recipe.