Masala Chaas / Masala buttermilk is a cool spicy yogurt drink. This buttermilk is an ideal summer drink that refreshes your body and mind.
You can prepare chaas / buttermilk in advance before your mealtime and refrigerate it. Moreover, drinking buttermilk on a regular basis is far more advisable than sipping on high calories soda drinks.
How to make Masala Buttermilk at home
Masala Buttermilk is one of the simplest recipes to prepare at home. With the help of just a few main ingredients like yogurt, chili coriander leaves, and spices like cumin/jeera powder it can be prepared with no fuss. It requires less than 5 minutes to make it at home.
There are 2 ways to prepare Masala Chaas.
- The first way is to add yogurt to a bowl, whisk it with a wire whisk or traditional wooden whisk till there are no lumps, slowly adding water, salt, cumin powder, and other condiments. You can also add 2-3 ice cubes in the Buttermilk if you like it cold. Whisk it till Buttermilk is frothy.
- The second method is to add yogurt, salt, and all the other ingredients together into the blender along with water and blend it till the buttermilk is lump-free and frothy.
Try whichever way is suitable to you, any which ways it will not take more than 5 minutes to prepare Masala Chaas at home.
You can also try Mint Buttermilk and Spicy Guava Drink which are my favorite drinks.
Benefits of Masala Chaas
- Firstly, it aids in digestion, eases the stomach by its soothing properties.
- Secondly, it helps in settling the acidity after a heavy Indian spicy meal and rejuvenates you.
- Moreover, Masala buttermilk also helps in hydrating the body, especially during summer.
Step-by-Step Recipe of Masala Chaas
This recipe will yield 2 glasses
1 cup fresh yogurt / Curd
2 cups of cold water
1 piece green chili
1 tsp chaat masala
2 tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
a handful of chopped coriander leaves/cilantro
Salt as per taste2-3 ice cubes (optional)
Fresh mint leaves and coriander for garnish
Buttermilk is a very nutritious drink with less fat content. It is also advised by dieticians to those who are on a weight loss program. Buttermilk is also a good source of calcium and keeps you hydrated. Consume 1 glass of buttermilk daily preferably with your lunch. However, avoid drinking it at night if you are prone to cold and cough.
Masala Chaas / Masala Buttermilk
- This recipe will yield 2 glasses
- 1 cup fresh yogurt / Curd
- 2 cups of cold water
- 1 piece green chili
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 2 tsp cumin powder/jeera powder
- a handful of chopped coriander leaves/cilantro
- Salt as per taste2-3 ice cubes optional
- Fresh mint leaves and coriander for garnish
- Add all the above ingredients into a blender and blend it till smooth and frothy.
- Now pour this masala Chaas into serving glasses, garnish with fresh coriander mint leaves, sprinkle a dash of cumin powder, and serve it chilled.