Rajma Sundal | Sundal Recipes with step-by-step pictures and detailed recipe. This South Indian, no-onion-no-garlic recipe, mainly served during Navratri is made with rajma beans and freshly grated coconut.
Rajma Sundal is mainly a dry dish that is served as a prasadam or naivedya during Navratri. It tastes very delicious and is Vegan and also rich in proteins. It can be even consumed as a salad or as a side dish.
Do check out other Sundal and Navratri Recipes
Kesar Badam Milk
How to Cook Rajma
1. Soak Rajma in water for 6-7 hours or overnight and boil it in a pressure pan or pressure cooker till 6-7 whistles. Add salt and a pinch of baking soda while boiling it.
2. Let the pressure release and once it cools down open the lid.
3. Strain away all the water and keep the rajma aside.
4. Just press the rajma and check if they are cooked properly.
- 1 cup boiled rajma | Red kidney beans
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds | rai
- 1 piece jaggery
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 tsp tamarind extract
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1 tsp hing
- salt as per taste
- Firstly, heat oil in a pan, add urad dal and mustard seeds in it.
- Once the urad dal turns golden and mustard seeds start to crackle, add hing and curry leaves.
- Now add boiled rajma in the pan and give it a mix.
- Add jaggery piece in the rajma.
- Add 1/2 cup of water in the rajma so that the jaggery mixes well in the rajma.
- Now add tamarind extract in it and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Finally, switch off the flame and mix freshly ground coconut in and serve it.
Step-by-Step pictures of Rajma Sundal
1. Firstly, heat oil in a pan, add urad dal and mustard seeds in it.
2. Once the urad dal turns golden and mustard seeds start to crackle, add hing and curry leaves.
3. Now add boiled rajma in the pan and give it a mix.
4. Add jaggery piece in the rajma.
5. Add 1/2 cup of water in the rajma so that the jaggery mixes well in the rajma.
6. Now add tamarind extract in it and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
7. Finally, switch off the flame and mix freshly ground coconut in and serve it.
Important notes and Variations
- How to cook Rajma is the key to this recipe. If your rajma is undercooked, it will spoil the taste.
- You can add red or green chilies to this recipe.
- If you want to add some spices add 1 tsp of Sambhar powder in this recipe.
- Try this recipe with different legumes like brown chana, soya beans, Black-eyed beans, etc.
- Serve this Sundal along with rice and sambhar, it will taste good.
4 thoughts on “Rajma Sundal”
that’s an awesome recipe.
Thank you 🙂
Awesome. Loving your recipes. Keep them coming. Made sundal while watching your steps. Excellent!!!